Emergency Federal Employee Leave (EFEL)
Paid Leave for Covid-Related Issues
Under the American Rescue Plan, federal employees will be able to receive up to 600 hours, or 15 weeks, of paid leave to recover from infection, quarantine, care for sick family members, or care for children attending school virtually. This leave fund is capped at $1400 a week and will expire September 30, 2021.
Guidance from the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) is still pending on how this leave will be implemented.
*CALCULATION OF RETIREMENT BENEFIT. -Any paid leave provided to an employee under this section shall reduce the total service used to calculate any Federal civilian retirement benefit. congress.gov
Qualifying reasons for this type of leave; if the employee:
1. is subject to a Federal, State, or local quarantine or isolation order related to COVID19.
2. has been advised by a health care provider to self-quarantine due to concerns related to COVID-19.
3. is caring for an individual who is subject to such an order as in (1) or has been so advised as in (2).
4. is experiencing COVID-19 symptoms and seeking a medical diagnosis.
5. is caring for the employee’s son or daughter if the school or place of care of the son or daughter has been closed, requires or makes optional a virtual learning instruction model, requires or makes optional a hybrid of in-person and virtual learning instruction models, or if the child care provider of the son or daughter is unavailable, due to COVID-19 precautions.
6. is experiencing any other substantially similar condition.
7. is caring for a family member with a mental or physical disability or who is 55 years of age or older and incapable of self-care, without regard to whether another individual other than the employee is available to care for such family member, if the place of care for such family member is closed or the direct care provider is unavailable due to COVID-19.
8. is obtaining immunization (vaccination) related to COVID-19 or is recovering from any injury, disability, illness, or condition related to such immunization.